Whether you bend down to pick up something or just step out to play a game, the movement starts in the core and moves upwards or downwards. And if your base is not strong, then you might be in some trouble.
A more robust core is vital for all your everyday functions. A stronger core improves your balance and posture. So, by working out your core muscles, you avoid the chances of getting an injury by tripping or falling.
A core workout also helps build a base for your other exercises. You will be able to do your everyday chores without any hassle, the sports you like, activities at school or work; nothing will come in your way. So let’s get started to strengthen that core!
Core Workout For A Strong Waist
Here is the best core workout to strengthen your waist in just 20 minutes a day.
1. Double Leg Pulses (3 x 20 pulses)
Here’s how to correctly perform this exercise:
- Lay down on the mat supine.
- Relax your back and place the hands beneath the hips, with palms facing down.
- Lift your feet up, about a few inches from the ground, and make sure you do not pressurize your neck and shoulders. Hold the position for a few seconds and continue breathing.
- Pump your feet up and down for about 20 counts and then return to rest.
Do this core workout in sets of 3, with 20 pulses each.
2. Double Leg Raises (3 x 20 reps)
The Double Leg Raises also begins in the same position as of Double Leg Pulses. Here’s how to get the most out of this core workout:
- Lay down on your back with your hands under the hips.
- Slowly lift your legs up, making an angle of 90 degrees and the feet facing the ceiling. Your legs should be straight, without any bends.
- Lower your legs down, leaving a few inches gap from the ground. Once again, take them up and lower them down.
Do this exercise in sets of 3, with 20 repeats each.
3. Leg Circles (3 x 30 reps)
Here’s how to do this core exercise:
- Lay down on the mat and lift your legs up to an angle of 45 degrees.
- Lift your upper body as well to an angle of 45 degrees. Only your butt and hands should touch the mat.
- Rotate your legs in a circular motion, with both the legs moving in the opposite direction.
- While rotating, take them close to the floor where both the toes come in contact and then lift them back up. Do this for 15 counts and then rest.
- Then repeat the same while alternating the direction of rotation. Do this for another 15 counts.
Do this exercise in sets of 3, with 15 reps each direction of rotation.
Core Strengthening Exercises
Mentioned below are a few core exercises for the strengthening of the base, by working out the lower abdominal and pelvic muscles.
1. Low Boat Pose
This yoga pose is very effective and efficient core workout. Here’s how to properly perform it:
- Lay supine on the floor with your hands by your side. Rest in the position for a while breathing normally.
- Raise your legs up, at an angle of 45 degrees and make sure they are straight.
- Once you stabilize, lift up your torso as well, again at an angle of 45 degrees. Now you are in the “V” shape.
- Try touching your calf with your hands and hold for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Return to rest and repeat 5 times.
2. Boat Pose
This pose is a continuation of the previously done boat pose. Remaining in the pose, raise your legs up a little more and hold for a few seconds. This way you put a bit more pressure on your core muscles. Hold and then return to the starting position.
Plank has significant benefits when it comes to strengthening your core and abdominal muscles. It looks simple but is not simple to do, and the effect it has on your body is not matchable by any other core workout.
Here’s how to plank:
- Lie upside down on the mat.
- Come up on your elbows and toes. Keep your body straight without arching your back.
- Hold this position for as long as you can.
4. Scoop Exercise
Let’s see how to do the scoop exercise:
- Begin this exercise with laying on the floor on your back. Your spine and shoulders should be stacked on the floor and legs straight.
- Lift up your legs with your feet facing the ceiling. Make sure you don’t lift your hips too.
- Hold your ankles with your hand while raising your shoulders and head a little.
- Your legs and arms must be straight while you hold this pose for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Once done, return to rest and repeat at least 10 times.
Core Strength Benefits
Your core is every part of your body, except your limbs. And a stronger core means more solid body. It is the support system of your body and just working it out for sporting a beach-ready body is not enough.
A more solid core helps to prevent injuries in the body because you are not getting more powerful base only with crunches. As you work your way towards it, you are also strengthening your body in every possible way.
A stronger core will keep you away from back and hip pains and will help you feel younger for years to come. Along with the beach-ready body, you will also have the confidence to flaunt it with better posture and healthier abdominal.
Core Workout Video
Check out this video with 3 best core exercises for beginners you should include in your daily fitness routine.
Get more like this
in your inbox
Sign up for our daily email with fitness and nutrition tips, diets and weight loss programs, health news, and more.