Wanna lose your love handles and get in shape for an upcoming event? Here are the best exercises to melt the extra fat and tone your waist.
Having love handles doesn’t sound as good as you might think. While the name “love handles” seems really nice, what it represents, not so much.
I’m pretty sure that if you have love handles, you are desperate to get rid of them.
They are that extra layer of fat that is slightly hanging over each side of our waistline. You can even call it a muffin top; again, sounds cute but is not that appealing.
I have prepared a workout routine that can help you get rid of a few pounds, shrink your waist, and lose those love handles.
To do these exercises, you will need one towel for one of the moves, and for the rest of the exercises, you will use your bodyweight only.
The Exercises You Need To Lose Your Love Handles
To keep it at high intensity, try to rest only for 30 to 40 seconds between sets. This way you will make every minute of this workout count.
Just keep in mind to push yourself for the best results!
1. Starfish Crunch
This is a great move because you will activate a lot of muscles in your abs. You will be working your obliques, your upper and lower abs. This exercise is also great for your back because you will only lift your shoulders slightly off the ground.
This is what you need to do:
- Lay down on your back with your legs wide apart and the arms extended over your head.
- Now close your legs together and perform a crunch position.
- So pull your knees towards your chest and slightly lift your shoulders off the ground.
- Do this motion with your abs engaged and hold the crunch position for a second.
- Now return to the starting position with your legs apart.
- Do this move with your legs hovering over the floor.
2. V-Sit Towel Twist
You know this from the name of the exercise: a towel is needed. This move is more than a typical v-sit; it is more of a total body move, so your calorie burning will increase exponentially.
Here is how you do the move:
- Start by sitting down, legs together, and knees bent.
- Grab a rolled-up towel with both hands and hold it stretched out in front of you.
- Slightly lean back until you feel your abs strongly engaged.
- Keeping your back straight, slowly twist your torso to one side, then to the other side.
- Repeat for the number of reps needed.
3. Side Plank Twist
This is an exercise that is really going to challenge you, so be ready. It is a great exercise to engage your entire core. It also strengthens your legs and arms too.
This is the way you should do this exercise:
- Get in a side plank position on your left elbow and keep your legs straight.
- Place the right hand behind your head. This is the starting position.
- Twist your torso trying to reach your left elbow (the one flat on the floor) with your right elbow.
- Hold this position for a second then return to the start and repeat.
- Then switch sides and repeat.
You only need to do a few reps for each set, so try to perform it slowly focusing on the form rather than on the number of reps.
4. Alternate Leg Stretch
This is a great workout that will target your lower abdominals because your legs don’t touch the floor. So get ready to fire up your abs and get off a few inches off your waist.
Here is what you need to do:
- Lie down on your back for your starting position and hold your left knee inwards to the chest.
- Now switch up your legs and hold your right leg to your chest holding it for a second.
- Contract those abs while doing this move and remember to keep your legs off the floor the whole time you do this exercise.
5. Jumping Jack With Front Kick
To complete this waist workout, you will need a cardio move too. This is a great exercise to maximize calories burning because you use multiple muscles and joints.
When you use multiple joints during a workout, it requires to move energy throughout the body. So if you want to melt that stubborn fat off, don’t skip this move.
This is how you do it:
- Do a jumping jack move and after the jump, do a kick with your right leg.
- Now do another jumping jack and now kick with your left leg.
- Just make sure that you are alternating your legs after each jumping jack.
The Workout Plan
These are the moves you will need to do for 10 minutes to burn off that body fat. Here is how you should do this love handles workout:
- Do 3 sets of starfish crunches with 20 reps each set;
- Then do 3 sets of v-sit towel twists with 20 reps each set;
- Do 3 sets of side plank twists (on each side) with 7 reps each set;
- Perform 3 sets of alternate leg stretch for 50 seconds each;
- Lastly, do 3 sets of jumping jack kicks for 50 seconds each set.
The goal of this workout is to maximize calorie burning as much as possible in a short period of time.
The best thing to do to get rid of that extra fat around your waist is to optimize your diet to help support your workout.
There are several ways in which you can change up your diet or just do one simple thing: calorie deficit.
Optimize your diet by following a calorie deficit plan. This means you will eat less and burn more calories throughout the day.
It is easy to cut back on calories when you are eating right. Eat high-quality nutrient-dense foods that will help you feel fuller throughout the day. Think potatoes, salmon, garlic, blueberries or egg yolks.
Hopefully, this waist workout will help you lose your love handles and get thinner in no time. Remember, follow this workout plan alongside a healthy, nutritious meal plan for a total body makeover.