One of the most common questions I get is how to lose more weight, burn more fat and look more lean. I will share with you my top three strategies to immediately start seeing improvements in your metabolism. And you may even notice after one or two days, that you’re looking leaner and more fit than you did before.
3 Steps To Burn More Fat
So here are my top secrets to help naturally lose more weight, burn more fat and look more lean.
1. Get Healthy Fats, Protein And Fiber In Every Meal
The number one thing you’ve got to do if you want to start boosting your metabolism is you’ve got to consume the right type of foods and follow a specific diet. And I would recommend a diet that’s high in healthy fats, protein and fiber.
You should also be reducing overall sugar consumption. Now, you do want some sugar and grains in your diet, but focus on getting these three things in every meal: protein, healthy fat and fiber.
Getting enough protein has been shown to support fat loss and building lean muscle tissue, which is going to support your metabolism to burn more fat. So you can get your protein from:
- wild caught salmon;
- grass fed beef;
- organic chicken and turkey;
- good quality grass fed whey protein powder;
- sprouted pea protein powder.
If you want to burn more fat, you should get some healthy fats in your diet from:
- coconut oil, which is a medium-chain fat;
- ghee and organic butter, which are short-chain fats;
- avocados, which are long-chain fats.
And then the third food you want to be adding in to help your metabolism to burn more fat, is going to be high fiber foods:
- flax seeds;
- chia seeds;
So fruits, vegetables and nuts and seeds are going to be your highest fiber foods that are going to help you burn more fat, and they also keep you feeling fuller longer. They also slow the absorption of sugar, so this is a great food category that is really going to help your metabolism to burn more fat.
2. Do Interval Training Workouts
The second thing you need to do if you want to light your metabolism on fire and burn more fat is you’ve got to do a specific type of exercise. Stop doing long-distance cardio and start doing burst training or interval cardio. So burst training or high intensity interval training is exercising like a sprinter rather than a marathon runner.
You would go and do a set of bench press, and then you would do sprints in place or you would go and do pull-ups, and then you would go and do some sort of cardio activity. So combining interval training and weight training, your body will burn almost ten times more body fat than if you’d do just cardio exercises.
The reason why this works is if you are doing interval training, your body starts producing more human growth hormone. That’s known as the anti-aging hormone, so it will also help you age slower, and that’s why it’s so much more effective versus doing a lot of the long distance cardio.
Your body starts to produce more cortisol, which will cause you to age faster and can actually slow down your metabolism long term, which isn’t what you want to do. So, again, best exercise to burn more fat is interval training, which is doing 30 seconds on, 30 off or 40 seconds on, 20 off.
3. Reduce Stress Levels
I can tell you right now that emotional stress and lack of sleep together are really hard on your body. They’ll increase cortisol, they can affect melatonin levels, basically affect every hormone in your body. So your hormones start working against you for fat loss instead of working for you to burn more fat.
So the third secret to burn more fat is getting over eight hours of sleep a night along with reducing emotional stress. Now, here’s a tip for reducing emotional stress:
- Get out a sheet of paper or get on your computer, write down on one side all the things that are stressing you out.
- On the other side, write down all the things that bring you joy that you just love doing, whether that’s date night with a spouse or going for a run on a trail or shopping in the mall. Whatever it is, write it down.
- On the left side, start figuring out how can you address and get those things out of your life. And then on the right side, what I would recommend, start scheduling those things you love to do in your week, and you’ll find that will naturally reduce stress.
- Also, taking 10 to 30 minutes in the morning, reading a devotional, your bible, or something that’s spiritually uplifting or even just saying what you’re grateful for, is a great way to reduce stress.
- Before bed, reading rather than watching TV, something that’s going to help calm you down, is another great thing.
If you follow the diet I recommended, change your exercise to interval training, and reduce stress and improve sleep, those things are going to absolutely help naturally boost your metabolism and help you to burn more fat, lose more weight and look more lean.