Tomatoes are a great source of lycopene, known for its anticancer properties. Discover what other effects they have on your health:
1. They have a high content of lycopene, a compound that, in addition to the role of antioxidant can prevent diseases such as cancer of the esophagus, colon, breast and prostate.
2. Have the ability to protect the heart from serious diseases. The latest research shows that high consumption of tomatoes reduces by 26% the risk of heart disease.
3. They are an important source of vitamin A, C, E and potassium.
4. They’re healthy raw, but they increase the amount of lycopene when cooked. Therefore you can eat canned tomatoes which have just a little salt in their content.
5. Reduce bad cholesterol.
6. A diet rich in tomatoes is gonna protect your skin from sunburn.
7. Protects your eyes from cataracts and macular degeneration.
8. Combined with extra virgin olive oil, tomatoes are more easily absorbed by the body.
10. In 2012, researchers found that men with the lowest lycopene concentrations in the body face a 60% greater risk of suffering a heart attack.
1. If you do not know their origin, tomatoes can contain a variety of chemicals that have been used to speed up their growth and ripening.
2. Not last for long in the refrigerator, but they can be eaten even if they have softened.
3. They are slightly acidic, and therefore may cause digestive problems in some people. Especially when combined with flour and fat cheeses can generate heartburn.
4. Seeds can cause some issues for people who have problems with iron.
5. Tomato sauce can stain teeth.
To peel tomatoes, place a bowl of hot water and one with cold water next to him. Cut the stem part, carve one “X” and immerse in boiling water for one minute. Then carefully remove and place in cold water. So you will peel very easily and quickly.
Wash tomatoes in water with vinegar to clean them shell of pesticides.