This week I found myself looking for a way to spice up my relationship with pasta (and before you ask- yes, it is a relationship. I love pasta and pasta loves me back and nobody can deny it). It’s been boring lately, having the same old routine, and I needed something fresh to make this summer great! And if we could turn down the heat too, that would be fabulous. So here are this week’s top 2 pasta dishes that are great for summer because they can be served cold.
Pasta With Peas, Shrimp And Buttermilk-Herb Dressing
This pasta dish is so easy to make, yet such a party hit. It’s a bit sophisticated, but not too much- you don’t want to turn your picnic into something too fancy!
Here’s what you will need:
– 8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat pasta (any type will work for this pasta dish, as long as you like it);
– 1 cup shelled green peas or frozen green peas;
– 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined;
– 1 cup thinly sliced radishes (any kind will do, and you can slice them with a potato peeler);
– 1/3 cup Greek yogurt;
– 1/4 cup fat-free buttermilk;
– 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives;
– 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill;
– 1/2 teaspoon salt;
– 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind;
– 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice;
– 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper;
– 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper;
– 2 garlic cloves, minced.
Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package (except that part where you add salt or fats to keep it from sticking to the pot- just stir every now and then and you’ll be fine). When they are almost done add the peas and shrimp, and boil them all together for another 2 minutes. When all’s done drain them, and rinse with cold water. After they’ve been drained of the cold water too, add the sliced radishes.
The other ingredients that are left can be whisked together in a bowl. Feel free to experiment with the herbs and find your perfect combo. The greek-yogurt-plus-everything-else mixture (fancy name, eh?) can be poured on top of the pasta right before serving, or right after you cook the pasta. Just make sure to toss this summer pasta dish around to make sure the sauce covers everything.
Get more like this
in your inbox
Sign up for our daily email with fitness and nutrition tips, diets and weight loss programs, health news, and more.