Now that it’s chilly outside, you may be starting to trade your morning ice-cold smoothie for warmer breakfast foods. Oats are an obvious option, but if you’re looking for a more savory option, give this scrambled tofu recipe a try. Serve it with the suggested sides and toppings below, or bundle it up in a whole grain wrap for a more portable meal.
10-Minute Scrambled Tofu Recipe
This recipe is made for two serves but you can adapt it for as many serves as you want.
What You’ll Need For The Scrambled Tofu Recipe:
– 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast;
– ¼ teaspoon turmeric;
– ¼ teaspoon ground cumin;
– ¼ teaspoon paprika;
– 1 tablespoon water;
– 1 pinch sea salt;
– 1/8 tsp black pepper;
– Olive oil, in a mister;
– 1 scallion, finely diced;
– 1 clove garlic, minced;
– 1/2 package firm tofu (about 210g), very well drained;
– 1 tablespoon very finely chopped parsley.
What to Do:
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for the seasoning — nutritonal yeast, turmeric, cumin, paprika, water, salt, and pepper — and set aside.
- Mist a frying pan with olive oil and place it over medium heat to warm up.
- Once hot, add the chopped scallion and garlic, and sautee until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan, breaking it up with your fingers.
- Pour the seasoning (which should resemble a bright paste) over the tofu and mix it well, trying to color as much tofu as possible.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until tofu is hot throughout. Toss in the parsley and continue to stir for another 1-2 mins.
- Once cooked, serve with your favorite sides and toppings: Sliced avocado, whole-grain crackers or toast, sliced tomato, bacon (regular, or meat-free!), salsa, and/or hot sauce are all great options.