These eight low-carb recipes will help you lose weight safely by substituting the carbs from your diet with healthy vegetable options.
Everybody loves to eat pasta, bread, and rice which, if you want to cut down on carbs, are always off-limits.
So if you need to cut back on your carb intake but still want to eat lasagna or mac and cheese, you can find delicious low-carb recipes that switch up the carbs for veggies.
Eating vegetables is always a healthy option. You will get lots of vitamins and you will stay on the healthy side of your diet.
Of course, another great benefit of ditching the carbs for veggies can be weight loss. Just by reducing the carb intake, you can reach your desired weight really fast.
Give your weight loss a boost and try these low-carb recipes that are more filling and tastier options than the original carb-included recipes.
The Most Delicious Low-Carb Recipes
It is not that hard to understand what I am talking about. Just think of your usual lasagna where you use pasta sheets for the original recipe.
You can instantly make your meal healthier by getting rid of the pasta and replacing it with veggies.
Check out these low-carb recipes and see what it means to substitute your carbs with veggies:
1. Sweet Potato Toast
Yes, I know how it sounds, but you can actually have toast without bread. You just need something to replace the bread with. In this case, you will use a sweet potato.
As with your usual toast, you can have more than just one variation on what you can put on your sweet potato toast this time.
Here is how to make the sweet potato toast. You just need to follow the instructions and have a large sweet potato ready and peeled:
- Slice a large sweet potato, making sure that all the slices are the same, about ¼-inch thick.
- Put one slice in your toaster; if your toaster in bigger, you can put more slices at once.
- Keep the toaster on medium heat.
- Take out the potatoes when ready, and check them with a fork to see if they are done. This process can variate in time because it depends on how powerful is the toaster and how thick you cut the potato.
Now that you have your slices of toast made out of sweet potato, all you need is something to put on the toast and your delicious breakfast is ready.
Here are a few options you can try, or you can even make your own take on this toast:
Tomatoes And Cheese Cream
- One slice on sweet potato toast;
- A small tomato sliced;
- 2 Tbsp of cream cheese;
- Seasoning to your taste.
Just spread your cream cheese on the slice of potato, add the tomatoes on top and some seasoning if you like.
You can make this recipe vegan by replacing the cream cheese with a vegan one.
Peanut Butter, Cacao, And Banana
- A sweet potato toast slice;
- 1 Tsp cacao;
- A small banana, sliced;
- 1 Tbsp of peanut butter;
- 1 Tsp of maple syrup.
Spread your peanut butter on the toast, put the banana on top and use the maple syrup and the cacao to season it.
You can get creative with the recipe and use ingredients that you like and, who knows, maybe you will enjoy it more than your regular toasting bread.
2. Zucchini Lasagna
Yes, you can make lasagna without using any pasta sheets or wheat noodles. Try this low-carb lasagna recipe where you’re gonna replace the carbs with veggies.
Ingredients you will need:
- 4 Large zucchinis, slice evenly, about 1/4 inches;
- Nonstick cooking spray;
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 Small yellow onion and 1 green pepper, diced;
- One pound ground turkey;
- 1 Tbsp olive oil;
- A handful of parsley and basil, finely chopped;
- One can of crushed tomatoes and one can of tomato sauce;
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste;
- 2 Tsp dried oregano;
- Salt and pepper;
- Cayenne pepper (optional).
The cheese mixture ingredients:
- One whole egg;
- 2 Cups of whole milk;
- Shredded mozzarella cheese;
- Half cup grated parmesan cheese;
- Salt and pepper.
Instruction on how to prepare the zucchini lasagna:
- First, you need to preheat your oven.
- You need to put the zucchini slices on a baking sheet that you first spray it with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the zucchini with salt and pepper and roast them for 15 to 20 minutes. This is a critical step you need to stick to. It will help to dry out the zucchini slices making them look like the usual pasta sheets.
- While your zucchini is roasting, you will need to make the turkey meat sauce. Use a large pot to heat up the olive oil, then add the onions, peppers, and garlic to it.
- Cook everything for a few minutes while stirring occasionally to make sure you won’t burn everything. Add in the pot the ground turkey and cook it until it is no longer pink.
- Put in the tomato paste, the tomato sauce, and the crushed tomatoes. Stir it a few times then add to it the basil, oregano, parsley, and a few pepper flakes. Bring the composition to a boil.
- After that, you need to reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes with the lid off. You need to get a really thick sauce and, if needed, add a few more tbsp of tomato paste.
Now you need to prepare the cheese mix by putting all the ingredients in one bowl. Mix everything well together and add 2 tablespoons of meat sauce into the mix. Stir it well and the cheese mix is done.
Let’s put the lasagna together. Spread 2 tbsp of your turkey sauce on the bottom of your pan. Place some zucchini slices on the meat, spread the cheese mixture and then sprinkle everything with a little mozzarella.
Repeat the layering process, starting with the meat sauce, zucchini, cheese mixture, and mozzarella. Cover your baking pan with a foil and bake everything for 30 minutes.
After the 30 minutes are up, remove the foil and bake your lasagna for another 15 minutes.
This is the healthiest pasta-free lasagna you’ve ever eat.
3. Sweet Potato Noodles
A quick tip before jumping to the recipe is that you need to make sure to not overcook your potato so it can still have that al dente pasta texture.
Here are your ingredients for the sweet potato Pad Thai noodles and the dressing.
Ingredients for your Pad Thai:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil;
- 2 Sweet potatoes, peeled and spiralized (use this spiralizer). This should give you 6 cups of potato noodles;
- One red or yellow pepper thinly sliced;
- Half a cup of vegetable stock;
- A small onion, chopped;
- Half a cup of edamame;
- 3 Tsp of cilantro.
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1 Tsp sesame oil;
- 3 Tbsp of unsweetened peanut butter;
- 1 Tsp fresh ginger, ground;
- 1 Tsp maple syrup;
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced;
- 4 Tbsp vegetable stock;
- 2 Tbsp of lime juice;
- Salt and pepper.
To make this dressing, you need to mix together all the ingredients in one bowl. Cover your bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.
Make your noodles by heating the olive oil in a large skillet. Add in the peppers and onions. Cook everything for 5 minutes while stirring constantly.
Add in the vegetable stock and the potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes while stirring it constantly.
Get out your dressing from the fridge and pour it on the noodles. Give everything a stir to make sure that the potatoes are coated with the dressing.
Cook for 3 minutes to get the dressing warmed up. Take the skillet off the heat and add in the edamame and the cilantro.
This is one of the most delicious low-carb recipes I’ve ever tasted where all the carbs are switched with veggies.
4. Cauliflower Mac And Cheese
This is the recipe that will bring you the delicious cheese taste without adding in the carbs from the macaroni. You will only need 5 ingredients to make this healthy version of mac and cheese.
These are the ingredients for 2 servings:
- 1 Cauliflower head;
- A small cup of shredded cheddar cheese;
- One greek yogurt or a few tsp of sour cream;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This is a very easy recipe, with just a few ingredients and you don’t need any special skills to do it. Just have a look at what you need to do to make this recipe:
- Cut your cauliflower head into small florets. You should get about 4 cups of this.
- Add your cauliflower into a big pot with boiling water. Boil the cauliflower for 5 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflowers and add the sour cream, salt, and pepper to it, while stirring everything on the low heat.
- Put the cheddar cheese in the pot and combine it with the cauliflower until it melts.
This is all you need to do to make this low-carb mac and cheese recipe.
5. Parmesan Garlic Cauliflower Rice
This is one of the most versatile low-carb recipes. You can serve it with some grilled chicken, meatballs, and even add it to some stir-fries.
Check out the recipe and you will see that the possibilities could be endless on how to serve this dish.
To make this recipe you will need:
- 5 Cups of raw cauliflower rice;
- 3 Minced garlic cloves;
- 5 Tbsp of shredded parmesan;
- 3 Tbsp of butter;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Quick tip on how to make the cauliflower rice:
- Use a large head of cauliflower and cut it into small florets.
- Put them in a food processor or blender and pulse it until you are left with small grains like rice.
- You can make more of this rice and put it in the freezer to use whenever you need it.
The instructions on how to make the cauliflower rice with garlic and parmesan:
- Use a small saucepan on medium heat, put the butter and garlic in and simmer everything for about 3 minutes.
- Stir everything until the butter melts and the garlic is infused with it.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, put the cauliflower on the stove on medium heat.
- Pour on top of it the butter mixture and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Cook everything until the cauliflower is tender.
- Add some salt and pepper and stir for a few more minutes.
This is one of the low-carb recipes I really dig into. Serve it while warm. You can use it as a garnish and add to it meats or vegetables.
6. Lemon Garlic Zucchini Noodles
Add these zucchini noodles to your favorite sauce and you get a filling but light lunch or dinner in just a few minutes.
- 2 Zucchinis, spiralized;
- Half of a lemon;
- 2 Minced cloves garlic;
- 1 Tsp chopped parsley;
- 2 Tbsp olive oil;
- Salt and pepper.
Follow these instructions to make the noodles:
- Use a saucepan on the low level of the stove and add to it the garlic and the olive oil.
- Cook it until your garlic is slightly brown.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon and add in the parsley and stir.
- Add some salt and pepper.
- Put a large pot on the medium heat and add in the zucchini noodles that you need to cook until tender.
- Stir it for a few times so the zucchini will cook evenly.
- Drain any water that can come from the zucchini.
- Toss the sauce in the pot and mix it with the zucchini.
- Add in the remaining lemon juice.
- Serve everything with a sauce.
7. Cauliflower Crust Pizza
This is a perfect recipe that will help you replace that pizza dough and make it even healthier. This is a healthy meal for your kids. It has a veggie base and it’s also full of veggies on top.
Ingredients for the pizza crust and the toppings:
- 1 Medium-sized cauliflower.
- Half a cup of cup mozzarella cheese.
- 1 Tsp of rosemary and oregano, fresh or dried.
- Half a cup of cup shredded Parmesan cheese.
- 1 Egg.
- Half a tsp of garlic powder
- A cup of mixed bell peppers, yellow, green, red.
- Half a cup of marinara sauce.
- Half a cup of broccoli florets.
- A few Tbsp of canned corn
- Half a cup of diced onions.
- Half a cup of diced tomatoes.
Here are the steps to make the pizza crust:
- Preheat your oven to 500 F.
- Cut the cauliflower into big chunks and put it in the food processor and pulse everything unto small grains like rice. If you don’t own a food processor you can grate or chop the cauliflower finely.
- Put the fine cauliflower in the microwave uncovered for 5 minutes on high. When it’s done allow it to cool for a few minutes. After it is cooled put it in a kitchen towel and squeeze the excess water out.
- Combine the cauliflower with the egg, cheese, garlic, and seasoning. Mix all together until you get a dough mixture. Spread this dough on a parchment paper like a thin crust.
- Bake thin crust for about 15 minutes, or until you get a golden crispy crust. After your crust is done top it with the pizza sauce and the vegetables and the cheese.
- Put it back into the oven for about 10 minutes and it is done.
Your alternative pizza is ready to be served. It is much easier to prepare this carb-free dough so make sure you will give it a try.
8. Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Sandwich
If you try to cut back on the bread but you love grilled cheese, then this delicious recipe is for you to try.
- 1 Medium cauliflower head.
- Half a cup of shredded Parmesan cheese.
- 1 Tbsp Italian herb seasoning.
- 2 Thick slices of white cheddar cheese.
- 1 Egg.
Here is how you should make it:
- Preheat your oven at 500 F.
- Make your cauliflower into small rice-like grains using a food processor or blender.
- Put the cauliflower into the microwave for 2 minutes. Let it cool down then put it in a towel and squeeze the excess liquid out of it.
- Put the cauliflower back into the microwave for 5 more minutes. After 3 minutes are up, take it out and stir it to make sure that all of it is cooked evenly.
- Allow the cauliflower to cool down, then add in the cheese and the egg. Stir it together until you get a soft paste. Add in the seasoning and divide the paste into 4 parts.
- Get a large baking sheet ready and make from each part of your paste a square form like a bread. Bake it for about 20 minutes. When it’s done, let it cool off.
- Carefully slide the cauliflower bread off the baking sheet using a spatula and get ready to assemble your sandwich. Putt one cheese slice between 2 cauliflower slices.
- You can either make your sandwich on the stove like grilled cheese or even place in a toaster for a few minutes.
Give these low-carb recipes a try to make weight loss easier. Add them to your diet if you want to cut out carbs without the need to give up on your favorite foods.
These are the most delicious low-carb recipes that we like and actually eat on a regular basis. They’re not just great for your waistline but for your overall health too.
Get more like this
in your inbox
Sign up for our daily email with fitness and nutrition tips, diets and weight loss programs, health news, and more.