A few notes on the ingredients. You can use corn tortillas, which are the classic choice for huevos rancheros. I used organic whole wheat because my store was out of corn the day I was shopping. Refried beans can be quite good for you and also really not good for you. Make sure you read your ingredients. I used 365 Organic Refried Pinto Beans, which were high in protein and fiber, low in fat (1.5 g per 1/2 cup), and really flavorful. If you like spice, a good splash of hot sauce on these would be great!
Healthy Huevos Rancheros
– 2 tbsp. grape seed oil, divided;
– 1 medium yellow onion, diced;
– 1/2 red pepper, diced;
– 1/2 yellow pepper, diced;
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed;
– 2 large tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups);
– 1 tsp. cumin;
– 1/2 tsp. salt;
– 1 c. chicken broth;
– 6 whole wheat flour tortillas;
– cooking spray;
– 6 eggs;
– 15-oz. can refried beans;
– 2 avocados, large-diced.
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add red and yellow peppers and garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Add tomatoes with their seeds and juices, cumin, and salt and cook until tomatoes start to break down, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and increase heat to high to bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered until thickened, about 15 minutes.
3. Arrange tortillas in a single layer on two baking sheets. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Place in the oven until starting to puff, about 5 minutes. Turn heat off and leave in oven to keep warm.
4. Heat remaining tbsp. of oil in a large nonstick skillet. Crack the eggs into the hot oil and fry until whites are set, then flip carefully and remove from the heat.
5. Put the refried beans in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until warm, about 2 minutes.
6. Put one tortilla on each of 6 plates. Spread with beans and top with an egg. Spoon sauce around the egg and top with avocado.