The oils that are produced by your body can help keep your skin healthy, but there could be too much of a good thing. The condition of an oily skin could result in acne and flare-ups and blemishes.
Apart from genetics, there are some other reasons why people suddenly suffer from oily skin. Some common reasons for oily skin are puberty, menstrual period, and some specific medications.
Oily skin in summer is a particularly difficult cross to bear. Nonetheless, there are still effective solutions for oily skin and many of them could be tried out at home.
9 Home Remedies For Oily Skin
Here are some of the most effective ways on how to get rid of oily skin effectively:
1. Lemon Juice
Being a good source of citric acid which could work like an astringent, lemon juice is a good option for those who wonder how to get rid of oily skin.
Besides, thanks to antiseptic properties, lemon juice could also lighten skin discolorations and naturally restore the pH balance of the skin.
- Mix lemon juice and distilled water with the ratio of 1 : 1/2.
- Apply that mixture over your skin.
- Wait for 10 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply your oil-free moisturizer afterward to prevent dry skin.
2. Egg Whites
One of the simple ways to handle oily skin is using egg whites. They help to tone and tighten up your skin and dry out blemishes.
- Take an egg white and whip it up till it gets stiff.
- Spread it over your skin and let it dry.
- Wash it off with tepid water.
- Do this twice per week.
Mangoes could be used either in homemade face packs or skin toners. It can unclog the pores and remove excess oil while toning your skin in a safe way.
You can make this mask by following the steps below:
- Mash one mango and massage it gently over your skin
- Rinse it off after it gets dry.
Tomatoes are a natural solution for the oily skin thanks to theirs clarifying, cooling and astringent properties. With a high content of vitamin C, tomatoes are very helpful for those with acne.
Moreover, the natural oil-absorbing acids in tomatoes can help remove excess oil. Here’s how to make a tomatoes mask for oily skin:
- Take a tomato and cut it in half.
- Rub it over your skin.
- Let its juice soak into your skin for 15 minutes or so.
- Wash it off with cold water and apply an oil-free moisturizer afterward.
Due to the astringent, cooling and soothing properties, cucumbers are very beneficial for oily skin. Besides, the high mineral and vitamin content, including vitamin A, E, potassium, and magnesium, are very good for the skin.
- Take an organic cucumber and cut it into thick slices.
- Rub them thoroughly over your face before going to sleep.
- Leave it there overnight, and wash it off with tepid water in the next morning.
When it comes to tips on how to get rid of oily skin, yogurt is an easy-to-find and effective option due to their lactic acid content. The lactic acid is helpful in exfoliating the skin and absorbing excess oil from the facial skin.
- Apply a proper amount of plain yogurt over your face.
- Wait for 15 minutes and rinse it off with cool water.
- Do that method once per day.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
You can use apple cider vinegar to exfoliate your skin before going to sleep.
Aside from removing excess oil from the facial skin, apple cider vinegar also consists of many properties that are helpful for your skin health. Additionally, it is a rich source of alpha hydroxyl acids (AHA), helping to tone as well as moisturize your oily skin.
- Dilute ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar with a ¾ cup of distilled water.
- The final product is a natural toner which can remove excess oil on your facial skin.
- Leave it there for 5-10 minutes before washing it off with cool water.
- Apply this method a few times per week to get good results.
8. Aloe Vera
Due to antimicrobial properties, Aloe Vera is ideal for curing acne-prone skin. Additionally, this plant can also help absorb the excess oil from the surface of your skin.
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf and extract its gel.
- Apply the gel over your face, let it dry before rinsing it off with clean water.
- Do this 2-3 times per day.
You can take advantage of organic honey to decrease the excess oil on your skin. Even, it helps in clearing the pores and preventing wrinkles and fine lines.
Because of the moisturizing properties, honey could nourish your skin and keep it moisturized in a healthy way. Besides, the antiseptic property of honey is very good for acne-prone oily skin.
- Apply a thin layer of honey over your face and wait for 15 minutes.
- Wash your face thoroughly.
- Do this 2 times per day.
An alternative way is:
- Mix honey with some ground almonds.
- Massage the mixture over your oily skin to eliminate excess oil as well as dead skin cells.
- Use a warm cloth to wipe your face.
- Just do this method once per week.
If you enjoy this article on how to get rid of oily skin effectively, please share it with your friends.
Get more like this
in your inbox
Sign up for our daily email with fitness and nutrition tips, diets and weight loss programs, health news, and more.