In the United States people get on average about 15 grams of fiber per day, which is about half of the recommended daily intake of fiber. So if you want to get fiber’s benefits, you should ingest 25 to 30 grams of it per day.
How To Get Your Daily Intake Of Fiber
Now that we all agree fiber is good for the body, how do we get more of it into our daily meals? Here are 5 quick and simple ways to ingest your daily intake of fiber:
1. Fiber From Whole Grains
- Whole-Wheat Bread: 2 slices = 4g fiber.
- Brown Rice, cooked: 1 cup = 4g fiber.
- Whole-Wheat Flour, used in baking: 1/2 cup = 6g fiber.
- Fiber-Enriched White Bread, such as School Bus or Iron Kids: 2 slices = 3g fiber.
- Reduced-Fat Triscuit Crackers: 7 crackers = 3g fiber.
2. High-Fiber Breakfast Cereals
- Raisin Bran: 1 cup = 7.5g fiber.
- Quaker Squares Baked in Cinnamon: 1 cup = 5g fiber.
- Frosted Shredded Wheat Spoonsize: 1 cup = 5g fiber.
- Oatmeal, cooked: 1 cup = 4g fiber.
- Cream of Wheat, cooked: 1 cup = 3g fiber.
- Multigrain Cheerios: 1 cup = 3g fiber.
- Wheaties: 1 cup = 3g fiber.
3. Eat Beans a Few Times a Week
- Canned Minestrone Soup: 1 cup = 5g fiber.
- Vegetarian or Fat-free Refried Beans: 1/2 cup = 6g fiber.
- Kidney Beans, added to green salads: 1/2 cup = 6g fiber.
- Bean Burrito (at Taco Bell or made at home): 1 piece = 8g fiber.
4. Eat More Fruits
The easiest way to get your daily intake of fiber is by eating fruits because you can eat them throughout the whole day: at breakfast and dinner, at lunch as a dessert and as a snack between meals.
- 1 Apple has 3.7g fiber.
- 1 Banana has 2.8g fiber.
- 1 Pear has 4g fiber.
- Strawberries: 1 cup = 3.8g fiber.
5. Eat More High-Fiber Veggies
You can get your daily intake of fiber quick and easy by adding some veggies to your meals or eating them as appetizer or as snacks between meals.
- Carrot slices, cooked: 1 cup = 5g fiber.
- Broccoli, cooked: 1 cup = 4.5g fiber.
- Raw Carrots: 1 cup = 4g fiber.
- Sweet Potato: 1 medium = 4g fiber.
- Cauliflower, cooked: 1 cup = 3g fiber.
- Raw Spinach Leaves: 2 cups = 3g fiber.
If you enjoy these 5 ways to get your daily intake of fiber please share this post with your friends and family. Also, if you want to lose weight fast, here is the fastest weight loss method: The Half Day Diet. Stay fit!
Get more like this
in your inbox
Sign up for our daily email with fitness and nutrition tips, diets and weight loss programs, health news, and more.