Are you looking to purchase a protein powder? The best protein powder can help you lose or maintain weight, gain muscle, and build energy to get through your workout and your day.
But, choosing the best protein powder can definitely be tough. There’s literally thousands and thousands of options out there, and what may work for one person may not work for another.
So, how do you know which protein powder is right for you?
How To Pick The Best Protein Powder
Check out this guide to learn the top four tips for choosing the right protein powder for you:
1. Understand The Different Types Of Protein
In general, protein powders consist of one or two different types of protein sources. It’s important to know the source of protein for the powder you choose, as each source offers its own unique benefits.
Plus, if you are following a certain type of diet, such as keto diet, you’ll want to make sure the protein powder is in line with your diet goals. In that instance, you’d want to make sure to choose a keto protein powder.
Here are some of the most common types of protein for protein powders:
- Whey – This is perhaps the most commonly used protein. It’s great for day to day use, as it’s easily digested and can even reduce stress levels. This is best used as an after workout protein.
- Soy – This can help reduce cholesterol levels, and it can even ease menopause symptoms.
- Egg – This releases slowly, and is best taken throughout the day.
- Rice – A plant-based protein that is excellent for vegetarians and vegans. It’s also gluten-free.
- Pea – Another great option for vegans and vegetarians. It’s also hypo-allergenic and very digestible.
- Hemp – Another plant-based option. Hemp protein is also an excellent source of omega-3s.
2. Consider Your Goals
When choosing a protein powder, you also want to make sure to keep your health goals in mind. In general, protein powders are developed to target one or more of the following goals:
- Building Muscle – If your goal is to build muscle, you’ll want to make sure to choose a protein powder that can be easily digested by your muscles.
- Weight Loss – If you want to lose weight, make sure you avoid protein powders that have a lot of added sugars. Avoid protein powders with BCAAs, as these promote muscle growth and weight gain.
- Sticking to a Vegan/Vegetarian Diet – If it’s your goal to stick to a vegan/vegetarian diet, then make sure you choose a plant-based protein powder.
3. Go Organic
Regardless of what your goals are, you want to make sure that you choose a protein powder that is as close to 100 percent organic as possible.
By choosing an organic protein powder, you reap the following benefits:
- You’re drinking something that is hormone, pesticide, and antibiotic-free.
- Get a higher nutritional value. Animals and plants that are raised in an organic environment contain more antioxidants and nutrients.
- Feel good knowing that your protein powder has been responsibly sourced.
4. Taste It Before
Last but not least, you cannot forget to factor in the taste of the protein powder.
Even if a protein powder is super nutrient-dense, you’re not going to drink it if you don’t enjoy the taste of it.
So, before you commit to buying a huge bottle of protein powder, order some single-serving packs of a few different types. This way, you can test out each one and see which flavor agrees with you the most.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to finding the best protein powder for your body. Please comment below if you have any questions about choosing a protein powder.