Throughout the year, but especially in summer, you must hydrate your body. This is the key to proper function of your entire organism.
Although it might seem easy, and the two liters of water (between 8 to 13 glasses of water) is the golden rule, things get complicated from one person to another.
Hydrate Yourself, But Not Only With Water
Although water is the first element considered when you want to hydrate yourself, excess fluid is not always the goal. It can only get you bloat, because our body can not absorb it all at once.
Nutritionists say that water hydrates up to 80%, while what we eat is more effective against dehydration, completing 20%.
The reason? The liquids from the foods are absorbed by the body in a more complex way.
But let’s find out what foods are rich in water content.
If you’re wondering what foods are full of water, then this short list will give you some ideas:
- Fruits (melon, citrus) and vegetables (cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce) contain the highest amounts of liquid.
- Chicken and fish contain about 65% water.
- Foods that are consumed as close to their natural state are recommended, but smoothies and soups are also included.
- Experts recommend to drink a lot of tea – especially the green – at room temperature.
Here is a more detailed list with top watery foods:
1. Foods With 90 – 99% Water
Watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes, grapefruit, cucumber, radish, tomato, cabbage, lettuce, celery, spinach, cooked squash, fat-free milk.
2. Foods With 80 – 89% Water
Apple, pears, pineapple, peach, oranges, raspberries, cranberries, cooked broccoli, carrots, yogurt.
3. Foods With 70 – 79% Water
Avocado, banana, cooked corn, baked potato, cottage and ricotta cheese, shrimp.
4. Foods With 60 – 69% Water
Legumes, salmon, chicken breast, pasta, ice cream.
If you can’t eat enough watery foods, try to eat something salty, but in small quantities. This will make you thirsty, but be careful because salty foods make the body to retain water, which is not recommended.
As you can see, water is not the only option when trying to hydrate yourself. Choose some of these watery foods to increase your water intake and stay hydrated every day!