10 Questions To Ask Personnel From An Eating Disorder Recovery Center
Choosing the best eating disorder recovery center is an important decision on the path to recovery. So make sure you ask the right questions when gathering information about the recovery center.
While there are many recovery centers that treat eating disorders, not every center is right for every person. What may work for one person may not work for another.
Asking the right questions can help an individual learn about the services a particular recovery center may offer.
One eating disorder treatment clinic may offer only residential treatment or day treatment, while another may provide both.
Therapeutic approaches, treatment components, costs, medical care, and nursing can vary widely between recovery centers.
Gathering information can help provide a more comprehensive understanding of what the center has to offer and if it will be the right fit for you or a loved one.
Here are ten questions you can ask an eating disorder recovery center representative to learn more about their program.
What You Should Know About A Recovery Center For Eating Disorder
Are you considering an eating disorder recovery center? Then you need to ask the personnel these ten questions:
1. What kind of experience does your treatment center staff have in treating eating disorders?
Eating disorders are complex, so programs for eating disorders must be multi-faceted and managed by highly trained, compassionate professionals.
2. What type of training or credentials does this eating disorder treatment clinic require of its professionals?
Find out if all members of the treatment team are fully licensed, certified, and trained in the treatment of eating disorders.
3. What are the residential centers like?
Many people prefer residential centers that mimic tranquil, home-like settings.
These programs should provide state-of-the-art treatment through a combination of individual therapy, group therapy, meal support, nutrition education, psychotherapeutic support, and mindfulness training; in addition to medical, psychiatric, and nutritional management.
4. Does the eating disorder recovery center offer a level system?
Using a level system can allow individuals to progress through the treatment program at their own pace.
5. Does the recovery center offer a personalized experience that meets each person’s particular needs?
When it comes to treating eating disorders, there are many available approaches.
Every treatment plan must be personalized to the type and severity of a person’s eating disorder, his or her unique experiences, and other co-occurring issues.
Some recovery centers offer the full spectrum of treatment in residential and outpatient settings for adolescents, adults, women, and men. A few offer female-only locations.
The treatment may address co-occurring disorders, such as drug addiction or mental health disorders.
The most comfortable and home-like recovery centers feature:
- Beautiful and safe facilities;
- Compassionate and talented staff;
- Medical management;
- Off-site activities;
- And post-treatment support.
6. What style of therapy can someone expect?
Each eating disorder recovery center will work based on its own treatment methodologies.
Asking questions about the style of therapy provided may help an individual assess if this will be the best fit for him or her.
7. What treatment components does the recovery center offer?
Eating disorders are complex, and individuals may benefit from a recovery program that offers a wide variety of treatment modalities.
A few examples include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – explores negative patterns of thinking and the actions that accompany those thoughts.
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) – can help an individual deal with painful emotions that may have felt triggering in the past.
8. Does the eating disorder treatment clinic offer creative or complementary therapies?
Some treatment centers will offer complementary therapies, such as outings, equine therapy, dance and movement, yoga or nature walks to enhance the standard provided treatment.
9. Does the recovery center provide nutritional guidance?
For example, you may ask about nutritional rehabilitation and stabilization.
Individual nutrition sessions, nutrition education, and counseling or nutritional supplements may be available throughout treatment.
10. Does the recovery center offer adolescent day treatment programming?
Adolescent day treatment programming focuses on adolescent clinical and developmental issues.
These treatment programs provide a positive and safe environment for adolescents with eating disorders to begin on the road to recovery.
Hopefully, the answers to these questions will help you pick the best eating disorder recovery center for you or your loved ones.