This is the diet program prepared by dr. Caroline Apovian. This article completes 2 previous posts: Overnight Weight Loss | True Myths and Shake Recipes | Healthy Weight Loss. You’ll find here the main rules of the diet program and some tips to get your ideal weight.
As we said, you drink only shakes one day per week and in the others 6 days eat as usual, but healthy. In these six days after the day of shakes, diet program is about healthy eating, preferably easy. Make sure you are getting enough protein foods that helps to keep your muscles intact during the process of losing weight, such as lean meats, fish and eggs. Thus, your muscles will be stronger, you’ll boost your metabolism and your body will melt all the excess fat. Also, the combination of protein, fruit and vegetable fiber makes you feel full for a long time.
It’s also lighter to eat carbohydrates such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables without starch, but you are allowed to eat in moderation and pasta, bread or potatoes. Lightweight Carbohydrates are rich in fiber, keeps your heart health and boosts immunity. You can always find them if you follow this diet! Furthermore, you have the option of eating unlimited amounts fruits and vegetables without starch for 6 days a week (except shakes), so you will not be hungry ever.
Remember, for your body to burn fat more efficiently, you need 1.5 grams of protein per 1 kilogram of your ideal weight. For example, a woman whose ideal weight is 58-59 kilograms should eat at least 89 grams of pure protein per day to avoid muscle mass and decrease hunger crises.
The rules of diet program
1. Set your ideal weight, find out how many grams of pure protein to eat in a day and not ever eat less than that.
2. Eat as many fruits you want.
3. Eat as many vegetables without starch and salad you want: broccoli, leeks, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, kale, mushrooms, peppers, spinach, tomatoes, beets.
4. Every day, make sure you take two servings each with 240 ml of yogurt, skim milk, cottage cheese or cheese.
5. Can you eat 2-3 servings daily small grains: oats, pasta, grains, brown rice, quinoa, couscous, etc..
6. You are allowed to eat each day 100 g of starchy foods such as potatoes, corn, squash, peas, green beans or lentils.
7. Regarding fats, you are allowed 4 servings of one teaspoon of avocado, olive oil, light mayonnaise, nuts and seeds.
8. You need to drink 8 glasses of water per day. They are also allowed, black coffee, tea and diet drinks but still need to drink 8 glasses of water.
Source: The Overnight Diet by Dr. Caroline Apovian, published in Piatkus.