Ready to build your Ketogenic menu? Here are my personal tips to help you create a shopping list and prepare delicious keto meals.
One of the great things about this burn-fats-instead-of-carbs diet comes through in the form of the first time you go shopping. Some people find the prospect of shopping with a new diet in mind to be intimidating.
By remembering a few simple things about what you can and can’t eat on the Keto diet, you’ll be able to build a fantastic Ketogenic menu.
How To Build A Ketogenic Menu
Creating a Ketogenic menu can be easy. All you have to do is to follow the tips below:
1. Make A Shopping List
Knowing your options on the Ketogenic diet will make it easy to avoid foods you’re not allowed to eat, stock up on things you’re going to love, and build a Keto menu you can stick to.
Here is a list with the foods you can eat on the Ketogenic diet:
- Meats/Poultry: Chicken (whole/parts), beef steaks/tips, bacon/ham/sausage, ground turkey, pork/beef ribs.
- Deli meat: Turkey breast, pastrami, pepperoni slices, bologna.
- Seafood: Fresh/frozen shrimp that can be easily peeled, fresh/frozen fish, tuna that comes in water or oil, crab.
- Dairy products: Eggs, heavy cream, sour cream, hard cheese, soft cheese, plain Greek yogurt.
- Low-carb veggies: broccoli, cabbage, leafy green veggies.
- Nuts/seeds: Almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds.
- Fruits: Avocados, fresh fruits that are in season.
- Panty items: Canned seafood, pasta sauces with no added sugars or thickening agents, nut butter, chicken/veggie stock.
- Condiments: Any non-sweetened mustards, dill pickles with no sugar, sugar-free salad dressing, horseradish.
- Cooking/baking: A whey protein powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, artificial sweetener products, sesame oil.
Keep in mind that this is hardly a complete list.
2. Go Organic
Organic is also a good way to go with a number of products (especially meat).
3. Get A Ketogenic Cookbook
Keto cookbooks are also a good idea. Start shopping around for two or three that can give you some meal ideas.
4. Stock Up On The Right Foods
With a kitchen full of the right Keto diet foods, you can build a Ketogenic menu that’s going to knock your socks off.
5. Add Some Variety
It’s important to realize that there is far more variety in the Ketogenic diet than you might suspect. That’s what makes this diet so appealing.
6. Prepare The Meals In Advance
If you’re constantly dealing with snacking, you may find that your best bet is to prepare meals that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, and even dinner over the course of a given week.
Simply create your meals on Sunday. The sooner you start your Keto diet routine, the easier it will be to stick to it.
Hopefully, these tips will help you make a Ketogenic menu and ease your weight loss journey.