How many times have you walked past a fast food restaurant and you’ve had a burger craving? From now on, when you do craving, go home and do it with your hand. Not only you will know exactly what you eat, but with this recipe, you’ll eat healthy! Black bean burger contains only vegetables and it looks like a meat burger. Although no meat, the black bean burger is very delicious. With this recipe eat healthy, fast food style.
The black bean burgers are full of flavor and deliciously hearty. Mushrooms and onions are sauteed with seasoning before being combined with the beans. This imparts much more flavor than I have found in more bland black bean burgers.
Ingredients for black bean burger
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil, plus more for brushing;
- 1 cup finely chopped Onion;
- 8 unces Cremini Mushrooms, finely chopped;
- 1 clove Garlic, minced;
- ½ teaspoon Cumin;
- ½ teaspoon smoked Paprika;
- 4 slices Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread, lightly toasted;
- 15-ounce can Black Beans, rinsed and drained;
- 2 ounces (about ½ cup) shredded Cheddar Cheese;
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper;
- 4 English Muffins, Sandwich Pockets, or Hamburger Buns, split and toasted;
- Salsa and Sour Cream, for serving (optional).
1. In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, garlic, cumin and paprika and cook until mushrooms have released their juices, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Tear toasted bread into pieces and place in food processor. Process until broken down into crumbs. Pour the crumbs into a medium bowl. Add the mushroom mixture and beans to the food processor; pulse until combined, but not smooth – leave some chunky bits. Scoop mixture into the bowl with the bread crumbs; add the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
3. Mix ingredients together and divide into 4 equal portions. With dampened hands, shape each portion into four thick patties. Lightly brush each side of all patties with canola oil.
4. Heat a grill, grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Place patties on the surface and cook until thoroughly heated through and the outside has crisped, about 5 minutes per side. Serve burgers on toasted English muffins and topped with salsa and sour cream, if desired.
Learn to master your cravings. And if you can not, then replace the craving with something healthy. Enjoy this black bean burgers!