While it may seem like a long time before we see nice weather again, especially at the start of the winter season, you can still enjoy sports you love from the comfort of your own home!
Since my favourite sport is soccer, I’m spending the entire winter season playing FIFA17 with my mates. But if you’re a baseball fan, for example, take a look at this free baseball simulator.
No matter what kind of fun activities you enjoy doing, there is at least one virtual way to do it at home. And while there’s nothing wrong with this, don’t forget about the real exercise.
If you want to be able to physically work out but you’re “trapped” indoors this winter, keep reading as we’re going to provide you with a number of great exercises you can do in your own home that are both effective and fun.
Exercises To Help You Enjoy Sports In Winter
If you’re not really into going to the gym (but you should), and still want to get fit, here are the most recommended exercises for this winter. You don’t need any equipment for these exercises, just an open spot on the floor to stretch out.
1⃣ The Plank
This particular exercise really had its day in the spotlight but this seems to have faded a bit. Here’s the thing though, performing the plank is an excellent way to work out your entire body at once.
What looks like a relatively simple exercise requires a lot of strength, focus, and muscles working hand-in-hand.
You can perform the standard front plank and then switch things up with the side plank using a bent knee. The side plank works to tone and strengthen your hip area.
2⃣ The Bodyweight Squat
Here’s another powerhouse exercise that doesn’t require any equipment and can be performed at home whenever you want.
The bodyweight squat requires that you use the proper form in order to perform it correctly. Here’s how to properly perform a squat:
- Stand up tall with your legs spread so they are shoulder width.
- Put your arms out in front of you raising them to your shoulder height. They need to stay in this position without moving.
- Focus on keeping your lower body and abs tight, as you push your hips back and bend your knees. Your lower back should have a very slight arch to it as you lower yourself.
- Once lowered you want to hold yourself there for a couple of seconds before pulling yourself back up.
3⃣ Hip Raises
If your mid-section is the area you want to work on, then hip raises are the exercise to do. Here’s how to do hip raises:
- Lie on your back on the floor with your arms stretched out beside you at shoulder height, keeping your palms up.
- Bend your legs at the knees so that your legs form a 45-degree angle.
- Pull your abs tight and then raise your body at the hips by squeezing your glutes. Your body should look straight.
- Hold the position for 5 seconds before lowering your body back down.
It Just Takes Some Creativity
Working out at home can be fun and effective when you use a little creativity. Don’t let the fact you are stuck indoors stop you from working on your personal health and fitness!
There are many ways you can enjoy sports and make your workouts fun, and here are just a couple of them (the methods I use to get more activity every winter).
TV Series Workouts
If you’re a Game of Thrones fan, do this GoT workout. Or search online for your favourite one because there are workouts for almost any TV show. Here is a workout you can use for any TV show:
Friendly Game Penalties
You can use planks, squats, hip raises, or any other exercise you want as a penalty when losing at a game played with your friends. This way you’re doing your workout while having fun.
As an added bonus, working out at home also means you don’t have to worry about paying a gym membership fee! So save money, have fun and enjoy sports you love with a drop of creativity.
Get more like this
in your inbox
Sign up for our daily email with fitness and nutrition tips, diets and weight loss programs, health news, and more.