Nothing says “Good morning!” like a freshly cooked, warm bowl of oatmeal. Besides the traditional way of consuming oatmeal, I’m going to share with you 4 very easy and delicious ways to add oats into your breakfast.
To me, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Having a healthy and hearty breakfast gets my metabolism pumping, it keeps me energised and it really does benefit me in making healthy choices throughout the day. Whether a slow cooked and creamy, blended into food smoothie or added into energy bars, oats provide your body with lots of health benefits.
Benefits Of Oatmeals
For men, you should be getting between 30-38 grams of fiber in a day. For women, you should be getting 21-25 grams of fiber in a day. One cup of cooked oatmeal with no toppings contains about 150 calories, 7 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber.
1. High in fiber and protein;
2. Low in fat and calories;
3. Lower LDL (“bad” cholesterol levels);
4. Helps you lose weight.
5. Stabilise blood sugar levels hence reduce cravings.
6. Soothing to the digestive process.
Having oatmeals for breakfast will keep you satisfied for much longer, hence eating less throughout the day. A bowl of oatmeal can easily last you to lunch time without feeling peckish.
All these recipes are very much adaptable, so follow the basics, pick your favorite ingredients and experiment with your own flavours. So lets start preparing some yummy oatmeal breakfasts.
1. “Sloppy” Overnight Meal
If you’re someone who rush out of bed, dash out of the front door and have absolutely no time for breakfast, why not prep your breakfast the night before? Because if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. No matter how busy you are, take a little bit of initiative and plan your breakfast. This oatmeal breakfast it is so easy to make, it takes only 5 minutes of your time and there is absolutely no cooking required.
So make this the night before and wake up to a hearty breakfast the next morning. The ingredients you need are:
- 1/2 cup (45 g) Oats, dry and uncooked;
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) any Milk of your choice;
- 1 tbsp Goji Berries;
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds or any other superfood of your choice;
- 1/2 cup Strawberries, sliced;
- 1/2 cup Grapes or any fruits of your choice.
You will get a serving packed with 378 calories.
- In a bowl, mix oats, milk, goji berries and chia seeds together.
- Assemble the “Sloppy” Overnight Meal either in a jar or glass.
- Lay the bottom with half of the oat mixture, then add in half of the fruits (strawberries and grapes).
- Put in the remaining oat mixture and top it up with the remaining fruits.
- Place it in the fridge overnight.
- Serve it for breakfast the next morning.
The chia seeds will give it a thick and creamy texture, and the natural sweetness from the fruits will make it really sweet without adding any sugar.
You can even make several glasses and store them in the fridge for the next few mornings, but not more than 3 days before eating. Be creative, pick your own fruits and create your own flavours. So busy people, there is absolutely no excuse to make this “Sloppy” Overnight Meal.
Get more like this
in your inbox
Sign up for our daily email with fitness and nutrition tips, diets and weight loss programs, health news, and more.