Dry cracked lips or chapped lips are a common lip problem that could be unattractive and painful. The common symptoms are redness, dryness, cracking, tender and flaking or sore lips.
When it comes to the cause of dry cracked lips, they could be vitamin deficiency, dehydration, allergic reaction, excessive licking of lips, smoking, harsh weather and sun exposure.
There are a lot of commercial products which could treat dry cracked lips, but their effects are often short-lived, and overuse of them could increase the severity of the dryness.
How To Treat Dry Cracked Lips
You can save your money and relieve chapped lips by using some effective natural remedies. The followings are effective home remedies for cracked lips to consider. Let’s get started!
1. Rose Petals
Among effective home remedies for cracked lips, rose petals can provide your lips with color and natural moisture. Some steps to take are:
- Just simply wash a small amount of fresh rose petals and soak them in the milk for about 3 hours.
- After crushing them to create a good paste, you massage it over your chapped lips.
- Leave them on your lips for 30 minutes or so.
- Repeat this routine thrice per day to get good results.
Using sugar will help exfoliate your lips from dry, dead skin cells, boosting the development of new healthy skin. You can follow these steps:
- Mix sugar and honey with the ratio of 2:1.
- Stir them well to create a good paste.
- Apply the paste over your chapped lips, wait for several minutes.
- Massage that paste for one minute or so before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Repeat this method regularly in order to treat cracked lips naturally.
Using pure organic honey separately could also bring good effects on your cracked lips thanks to its antibacterial and healing properties.
- Apply a small amount of pure organic honey on cracked lips a few times per day.
- Or, you could make a paste of glycerin and honey, then apply it over your lips before hitting the hay to get softer lips the next morning.
4. Castor Oil
- Apply castor oil over your chapped lips a few times per day.
- Alternatively, you could mix 1 teaspoon of castor, several drops of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of glycerin together. Apply the mixture on your dry cracked lips before sleeping.
- In the next morning, rinse it off using a cotton ball dipped in tepid water.
- Repeat this routine every day till your lips get healed.
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is particularly effective in treating cracked lips, particularly in dry and cold weather. You just need to apply pure coconut oil a few times per day over your lips to keep them naturally moist. If you do not have coconut oil, use olive oil as an alternative.
6. Fresh Milk Cream
Many people like softening their dry cracked lips with fresh milk cream or unsalted butter that can provide moisture.
- Apply milk cream over your lips and wait for 10 minutes.
- Gently wash your lips with the help of a cotton ball dipped in tepid water.
- Do this twice per day to get healed lips faster
7. Aloe Vera
Being a natural moisturizer and having anti-inflammatory properties, Aloe Vera can heal and soothe the pain caused by cracked lips. Also, thanks to hygroscopic properties, Aloe Vera can attract and keep moisture effectively.
- Take a fresh Aloe Vera leaf and squeeze to extract its gel. Or get a bottle of organic Aloe Vera gel from Amazon.
- Massage that gel over your lips, wait for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with tepid water.
- Repeat the method regularly till you heal chapped lips.
Cucumber is a good moisturize for cracked lips. Cucumber is a rich source of good vitamins and nutrients which are essential for health and beauty.
- Cut a fresh cucumber to take some slices.
- Rub them over your cracked lips and let the juice be absorbed by your lips.
- Wait for 15 minutes before rinsing it off with tepid water.
- Repeat this routine regularly.
9. Petroleum Jelly
One of the most effective home remedies for dry cracked lips is petroleum jelly. It is also the most economical solutions for your lip problems. You can combine it with honey to produce the best results.
- Rub a thin honey layer over your cracked lips.
- Cover it with another thin layer of petroleum jelly.
- Wait for 15 minutes.
- Gently remove two layers using a dry, clean cotton ball.
- Repeat twice per day.
Glycerin could help increase the skin moisture. It is considered one of the best natural humectants, relieving dryness by sealing in the necessary moisture.
You just simply apply a few drops of glycerin over your lips before sleeping. This will repair your damaged lip tissues, increase the healing process and protect your lips from harsh climate conditions.
This is a guest post written by Vanessa Tan, a health article writer with knowledge in home remedies and natural health. If you enjoyed her article, feel free to share it on your social profiles!
Dry Cracked Lips Causes
If you’re curious to learn more about dry cracked lips and what causes them, here is an interesting video that might help you: