Make your fitness journey simple, doable, and enjoyable by adding a new healthy habit each week. This week, have breakfast every morning.
No matter what your goal is (weight loss, muscle building, healthy living) if you’re not “sprinkling” your lifestyle with healthy habits, your results won’t last as long as you’d wish.
The easiest fitness tip you can turn into a habit is to have breakfast every morning, with no exceptions.
You don’t need to eat at the same time every day, but try to make it between 7 and 10 AM, at least 2 hours before lunch. You shouldn’t eat a lot, just something to get the energy to start off the day.
Why Have Breakfast?
If you don’t eat breakfast on a regular basis, eventually your body will get used to the situation and won’t make you feel hungry in the morning.
You’re not gonna miss eating breakfast, but you’ll overeat later in the day.
Have breakfast every morning to lose weight the right way and improve your health for the long term.
Researchers say that if you eat breakfast daily, you will manage your weight much better than do people who skip breakfast.
Improved performance at work/school is also associated with having breakfast every day. It also helps you avoid binging later in the day.
How To Do It?
The healthiest food is the one made in under 1 minute, so here are some ideas you can try for breakfast (and not only):
- Oatmeal or other whole grains (cereals, toasts) are a super-fast and easy breakfast idea.
- Go for fresh fruits or vegetables (I love carrots). Also, if you eat your fruits and veggies frozen, make sure to choose unsweetened options.
- You can have for breakfast a couple of spoons of peanut butter, or some nuts or seeds.
- An egg with a slice of whole-grain toast can help you feel satisfied throughout the morning (The 3 Day Military Diet is all about this kind of breakfast).
- Low-fat yogurt or a glass of low-fat milk would be another great option for breakfast. Fat-free yogurt or milk would be even better!
- If time is an issue, prepare breakfast in the evening before. Overnight oatmeals make a nutritious breakfast packed with protein.
- Smoothies are really quick snacks (or even meal replacements), full of vitamins and sweetness.
- If you’re into cereals, choose the box with more fiber and less sugar content.
- You can go for a French toast made from whole-grain bread and egg whites, sprinkled with a pinch of cinnamon. For sweetness, you can add a few drops of vanilla extract. To stay on the health side, use cooking spray instead of oil to fry the French toast. Again, if you like it sweet, top it with thinly sliced fruits, such as apple, banana, or berries.
- If the place where you eat your breakfast is in your office, then fruits, yogurt, and whole-grain mini bagels should be the most convenient foods to take with you to work.
- Use this method to make breakfast wraps from almost anything.
- Have breakfast like a king, eating a delicious sandwich made with one slice of whole-grain bread, one slice of lean meat, vegetables of your choice, and a small portion of low-fat cheese.
If you don’t have breakfast because every morning you’re in a hurry, just grab a piece of fruit as you walk out the door and eat it on your way to work/school. Opt for different fruits every day and build yourself a new healthy habit.
Just like you got used to skipping breakfast, you can reverse the process and make eating healthy foods for breakfast an enjoyable habit. Stay fit!