Our Fasting Tips
For years, lots of religious holidays and traditions have went hand in hand with fasting. However, fasting is not done just for spiritual purposes. Studies have shown that fasting every once in a while is not a bad idea. It can improve weight loss overall by improving metabolism. Fasting may mean going a day or two without food, or just skipping a meal every few days. Here, we will give you a few tried and true fasting tips. With these fasting tips you can stay healthy and safe while fasting.
Eat Right Beforehand
The first of our fasting tips is to not panic. Keep eating healthy and nutritious food. Gorging yourself, especially on fatty, sugary, or salty foods, can actually make a fast harder. Not only that, it may hinder your weight loss. A complete meal of a fruit, a starch, lean protein, healthy fat, and lots of veggies is the way to go. This combination will help you to breeze through the first part of the fast by making your body feel satisfied for longer. Such a meal is also healthy, and in keeping with many diets. Be sure to exercise the day before you start fasting, as well.
No, we do not mean booze! We are talking good, old fashioned water. Water can trick your body into feeling fuller, longer. Dehydration can lead to serious health issues. Just like every other day, try to drink at least 64 ounces of water each day while fasting. Avoid drinks that may dehydrate you further. These include drinks with caffeine, like some teas, and coffee. Sugary drinks should always be avoided. Drinking water during this phase can also help your liver to function properly. By far, this is our most important and helpful of our fasting tips.
There are a few other don’ts that we would like to add to our fasting tips:
- Do not engage in intense workouts while fasting.
- You may also want to avoid driving or using any heavy machinery.
- We only say these things because fasting can affect everyone differently. Some people may feel groggy, or even a bit light headed.
- Exercising vigorously can lead to dehydration or make these symptoms worse.
- Try out fasting for a day or so to see how you feel after. Never engage in a long fast without first asking your doctor. They can let you know of any health concerns beforehand.
Get more like this
in your inbox
Sign up for our daily email with fitness and nutrition tips, diets and weight loss programs, health news, and more.