If you’re running a lot, you’re gonna lose weight, you’re gonna burn a lot of calories, and that’s a sure thing. Most of you are asking me “how many calories do I burn running” and the answer depends of many factors. And there is a major factor that’s come into play: your current weight. The more you weigh, the more calories you burn per mile/km because it takes more energy to move more mass.
The typical accepted norm you hear is one mile equals 100 calories burned. It’s true, but that’s only if you weigh about 250 pounds (115 kg) and you’re running in perfect conditions. If it’s windy, obviously you burn more calories and if it’s hotter outside you also burn more calories.
There’s a lot of information about this but basically the one thing that you need to remember is: you burn more calories if you run more, if you run faster and if you run outside.
Also the more you run, typically the healthier you eat, which plays into the amount of weight you might lose. And don’t think you have to run 35 miles to lose one pound, that’s false. There’s a formula that says 3500 calories equals one pound of fat.
Calories You Can Burn Running
1. Here is a list with how many calories do you burn running one kilometer depending on your weight (kilograms):
- If you are 50 kg and run for 1 km, you will burn 45 calories;
- If you are 75 kg and run for 1 km, you will burn 70 calories;
- If you are 100 kg and run for 1 km, you will burn 90 calories;
- If you are 125 kg and run for 1 km, you will burn 115 calories.
2. Here is a list with how many calories do you burn running one mile depending on your weight (pounds):
- If you are 100 pounds and run for 1 mile, you will burn 65 calories;
- If you are 150 pounds and run for 1 mile, you will burn 100 calories;
- If you are 200 pounds and run for 1 mile, you will burn 130 calories;
- If you are 250 pounds and run for 1 mile, you will burn 165 calories.
Be aware that these tables are just a guideline because the number of calories burnt vary depending on the conditions you are running in and by how fast you are running. If you enjoy running please share this article with your friends and let them know how many calories they burn in a 5K run. Stay fit!
Get more like this
in your inbox
Sign up for our daily email with fitness and nutrition tips, diets and weight loss programs, health news, and more.